I completed the computer build and got (most) everything working. I had a bit of trouble with the video card because if it was connected to the motherboard it would default everything to the DVI-out port so I had to buy a DVI-VGA plug converter thingy. I installed Windows XP Professional and it seems to be operating pretty fast (much faster than my old Gateway).
I loaded up MAME and MaLa really quick last night, tweaked the settings for a vertical layout and the games seem to be running in full screen!!!! FINALLY!!! Tonight I plan to finish the computer setup on the cabinet.
I have to:
Compile a version of MAME that can save high scores and disables the warning screens Get the fatfingers MaLa plugin working properly (for the Ultimarc 360 joystick)
- Create a solid vertical gamelist
- Set the computer to boot straight to MaLa
- Cut hole in back of the cabinet and install the exterior plug
- Splice new plug to SmartStrip
- Wire the computer power button to a button on the cabinet somewhere
- Wire the coin door
- Touch-up paint
- Apply vinyl button decals
- Figure out a way to control the volume of everything
That's only like an afternoon's worth of work!
In other (not so) exciting news, I've actually made the executive decision to NOT use the side art that I had printed. It's a waste of $50 but everyone who has seen the sideart in person (held in place by tape) has said the cabinet looks better without it and I tend to agree. I love the art and it came out great but I think that for this project less is more and I'll be better off without it.
I really want to finish this thing so I can start the next one (I hope my wife isn't reading this...).