Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Day 8: Coin Door Cutout

This isn't glamorous but it sure was more time-consuming than I thought it would be. Last night I cut out the hole for the coin door on the front panel of the cabinet. This is the same panel that is hinged and can open up to reveal the computer for easy maintenance.

The coin door that I ordered is pictured (Part No. 40-0055-00). It's a little pricey but I think it adds a real nice finishing touch and an "authentic" look to the cabinet. Plus, since I decided to remove the "coin" button from the control panel it will be the only way to start up the games!

The first thing I did was remove the coin door panel from the hinges (and remove the hinges too) so I could layout the mounting template in the center. This was pretty easy to do with just my t-square and pencil.

As you can see from the template, the corners of the hole are rounded and have a 1" radius. I had to drill a 2" diameter hole in each corner in order to get the proper cut. Here are some shots showing the layout and some of the holes drilled:





Once all 4 holes were cut in the corners I used my jigsaw to connect the holes and remove the interior material. I made sure to stay 1/8" inside the line for the rough cut so I can clean it up with the router and a flush trimming bit.



The final thing I did was use the router to make everything nice and even. Here are the results:





Unfortunately, the coin door hasn't arrived yet so I can't get a finished picture but it is supposed to come this week and I will post a few pictures when it gets here.

Tips:
1. Be patient. It takes a while to make each of the 4 holes in the corner with a forstner bit or hole saw because MDF is so dense.
2. Make sure you have a piece of scrap MDF underneath the workpiece at all times. You don't want to cut a hole in your workbench.
3. Make sure everything is clamped tight to the workbench before you start cutting.
4. Plan on spending an hour and a half or more to cut the coin door hole. I know it sounds crazy but that's how long it takes if you follow my method.

Thanks for looking!!

No comments: